Saturday, June 28, 2008

Baby sitting!

Well. I think I should be grateful for my summer. And I'm going to be. I get to see Rob every day! Which is really the best part of my day. He doesn't know this, but I'm bringing him orange chickens from Panda for lunch. See? Summer isn't bad. It's a good thing.

So I went babysitting yesterday. And it was super funny... The four kids, who's names will be changes only because I think the mother would appreciate it, were very cute. Here are their stats and a basic outline of them.

  • John -10? Not sure...sometimes he acted like he was three. But I'm sure he's nice to his mom.
  • Iris -7. This I know because that is how long she had to stay in time out. She kicked her brother (John) for taking her toy. I don't think I punished him. Maybe if I had I would know how old he is.
  • James -4. I asked him while he was telling me stories. He really is my favorite. He would sit on the counter and when I asked him what he was doing he said "Nothing. I'm just sad." He never gave a reason for being sad, he just was. It was so cute. And I got him to do things by using peer pressure. "Do you want to brush your teeth?" "No." "But all the cool kids are doing it! Do you want to be cool?" "Yes!" "So let's brush your teeth!" "Okay!" He totally forgot that he didn't want to do it in the first place.
  • Luke -I'm not sure... When I asked him how old he was he said yellow...my guess is two. He just walked around and talked non-sense to himself. And when it was time for bed, all I had to do was put him in pajama's and tuck him in. And he stayed in bed without a fuss. It was beautiful. And adorable.

All in all, it was one of the better times I had baby sat. John is usually a terror. And during the day, he was. And getting him to bed took some lying. James was scared, so he sat by me in the hallway and read me stories until mom and dad got home, and John thought that if he pretended to be scared, he could stay up too. So I told him that if he stayed on his pillow for ten minutes, and was still scared, he could get up. Well, suddenly one minute turned to ten on my watch. "Emily, how long have I been here?" "Two minutes. Lay back down." Actual time elapsed: 5 minutes. "Emily, can I get up yet?" "It's only been five minutes." Actual time elapsed: 15 minutes. Now, lying to children isn't very nice, but he fell asleep after that. So I don't even feel bad.

Iris on the other hand didn't want to stay in bed at all. And after I told her not to leave her room again, she started finding creative ways to get off her bed. Like putting her pillow on the floor---when she thought I wasn't looking---and falling off her bed on to the pillow. I think she was trying to make me thing she had rolled off in her sleep. It didn't work, but it was really funny to watch. Really funny.

That's all the stories I can think of at the moment and I need to dry my hair so I can take said orange chickens to a certain someone!

1 comments:

Kate Karns said...

Hi Emily this is Kate. I found your blog on facebook. It is very cool. I glad your babysitting adventure was fun. I was also exited to hear where Rob was going on his mission. Give him my congrats when you see him.

If you post your email address here I will send you an invite to my blog.
Love you tons,
Kate